lynx: Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Ignac Vucko
2010-06-18 16:20:18 UTC
*PROBLEM:*
lynx -source https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do

Looking up www.mynortonaccount.com
Making HTTPS connection to www.mynortonaccount.com
Verified connection to www.mynortonaccount.com
(cert=www.mynortonaccount.com)
Certificate issued by: C=, ST=, L=, O=VeriSign Trust Network,
OU=VeriSign, Inc., CN=/Email=
Secure 256-bit TLS1.0 (RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1) HTTP connection
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile
*
- Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31-21-server)
- Lynx Version 2.8.7pre.6 (23 Jun 2009)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, ncurses 5.7.20090803(wide)
Built on linux-gnu Jun 25 2009 07:27:29
- FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:YES is being used in /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg to ignore
SSL cert issues
- Setting -useragent="firefox user agent" does not resolve the issue
- wget and curl -sk and Firefox work fine

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ignac
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-19 12:23:22 UTC
Post by Ignac Vucko
*PROBLEM:*
lynx -source https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do
Looking up www.mynortonaccount.com
Making HTTPS connection to www.mynortonaccount.com
Verified connection to www.mynortonaccount.com (cert=www.mynortonaccount.com)
Certificate issued by: C=, ST=, L=, O=VeriSign Trust Network, OU=VeriSign,
Inc., CN=/Email=
Secure 256-bit TLS1.0 (RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1) HTTP connection
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do'
Alert!: Unable to access document.
lynx: Can't access startfile
*
- Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31-21-server)
I see (it works with OpenSSL, but not GNUTLS). I'll look and see if I can
isolate the problem to something that I can fix in lynx.

thanks
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-20 14:52:46 UTC
Post by Ignac Vucko
- Lynx Version 2.8.7pre.6 (23 Jun 2009)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, ncurses 5.7.20090803(wide)
Built on linux-gnu Jun 25 2009 07:27:29
- FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:YES is being used in /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg to ignore
SSL cert issues
- Setting -useragent="firefox user agent" does not resolve the issue
- wget and curl -sk and Firefox work fine
Anyone have any ideas?
I got it to accept the connection by disabling the user-agent entirely.
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Ignac Vucko
2010-06-20 15:21:39 UTC
Hi Thomas,

How did you disable the useragent?

I tried -useragent="", but that didn't work either.

Thanks,
Ignac
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-20 16:01:09 UTC
Post by Ignac Vucko
Hi Thomas,
How did you disable the useragent?
I tried -useragent="", but that didn't work either.
That's because there are two checks. An empty useragent normally sends
a default user-agent string, but there's an additional feature that I
added about a year ago

2009-05-25 (2.8.7pre.3)

which suppresses that entirely.

There's no command-line option (I'm probably going to add one - was also
exploring a problem with my configure script...). It can be turned off in
the options menu with this checkbox - but note that the corresponding
feature (send_useragent) is normally not saved to .lynxrc:

Send User-Agent header (!) : [X]

To allow it to be saved to .lynxrc, you'd add

ENABLE_LYNXRC:send_useragent:ON

to lynx.cfg
Post by Ignac Vucko
Thanks,
Ignac
ftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-20 16:16:19 UTC
Post by Thomas Dickey
Post by Ignac Vucko
Hi Thomas,
How did you disable the useragent?
I tried -useragent="", but that didn't work either.
That's because there are two checks. An empty useragent normally sends
a default user-agent string, but there's an additional feature that I
added about a year ago
2009-05-25 (2.8.7pre.3)
which suppresses that entirely.
There's no command-line option (I'm probably going to add one - was also
exploring a problem with my configure script...). It can be turned off in
the options menu with this checkbox - but note that the corresponding feature
Send User-Agent header (!) : [X]
To allow it to be saved to .lynxrc, you'd add
ENABLE_LYNXRC:send_useragent:ON
to lynx.cfg
...but it doesn't look usable for a -dump, since the option is
initialized from the compiled-in definition in userdefs.h, and allows
overriding in interactive mode.

If you're able to compile lynx, then that's an easy change...
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-20 16:34:03 UTC
....but it doesn't look usable for a -dump, since the option is initialized
from the compiled-in definition in userdefs.h, and allows
overriding in interactive mode.
hmm - no (I was still making my before/after testing match up).
If it's saved to .lynxrc by using the enable_lynxrc feature, then
the user-agent isn't sent in a dump. On the whole, adding a command-line
option is preferable to disabling user-agent for an indefinite period...
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-20 22:10:53 UTC
Post by Thomas Dickey
....but it doesn't look usable for a -dump, since the option is initialized
from the compiled-in definition in userdefs.h, and allows
overriding in interactive mode.
hmm - no (I was still making my before/after testing match up).
If it's saved to .lynxrc by using the enable_lynxrc feature, then
the user-agent isn't sent in a dump. On the whole, adding a command-line
option is preferable to disabling user-agent for an indefinite period...
...further than that, I did find something odd - it stopped connecting
in that special case. So I continued debugging and found a case where
an error-state wasn't being cleared. At the moment, it's working (with
ongoing changes).

However, 2.8.7pre.6 is rather old - about a year - Ubuntu supposedly ships
Debian/testing, though it seems that it doesn't apply to any program that
I'm involved with.
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2010-06-21 09:09:14 UTC
Post by Thomas Dickey
....but it doesn't look usable for a -dump, since the option is
initialized from the compiled-in definition in userdefs.h, and allows
overriding in interactive mode.
hmm - no (I was still making my before/after testing match up).
If it's saved to .lynxrc by using the enable_lynxrc feature, then
the user-agent isn't sent in a dump. On the whole, adding a command-line
option is preferable to disabling user-agent for an indefinite period...
....further than that, I did find something odd - it stopped connecting
in that special case. So I continued debugging and found a case where
an error-state wasn't being cleared. At the moment, it's working (with
ongoing changes).
...further investigation found this is an known intermittent problem with
GNUTLS itself (and dev.4's due RSN, so I'll continue looking for a work
around in dev.5).
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net